Sunday 22 April 2012

Frankie and Bennys visit for Divas

frankie and bennys

This week the Mini Divas, Miles and I paid a visit to our local Frankie and Bennys in Huntingdon to check out the new menu; as huge fan of American diners (am still nostalgic of my recent NYC trip with Chelley),  I was more than happy to oblige.



We went along mid afternoon on Sunday ( post-park and pre-evening meltdown). It was already busy and became more  so with the evening cinema traffic, but for us as a family the busier and bustlier the better - no one likes to be the loud toddler table. There were plenty of families there with children of all ages, so we felt at home, and the kids had packs of puzzles and drawing pads to play with as we waited for the food to arrive.

[gallery]

We had: Eva and Mia both had chicken strips with fries as a main meal, orange and passion fruit juice, followed by ice cream sundaes with chocolate buttons and sauce. There were healthier options and a fruit salad available for dessert, with the option of free apples too which I thought was a nice touch;   you don't have to fill the little ones full of sugar, but we let ours have sugary bits on the weekend so allowed a little ice cream sundae luxury.

I had a steak salad, which was fab and only 660 calories for those of us who like to keep track of things. All good intentions went by the wayside though as I then picked at fries from Miles's Double Philly stack burger and then we shared an Eton mess Sundae. Ah well, back on the 30 day Shred for me then. Miles had to retire to the sofa in a burger stupor after dinner, which I take to be a sign of approval.

We spent: £52.75, not including service.  This included 2 main meals for us, dough balls starters, 2 x kids meals, mineral water, a Peroni, a fresh fruit smoothie, shared sundae and hazelnut coffee with biscotti. There were deals available which looked great to try -  3 courses for £10, and breakfasts for £5 - so we would definitely go back and try them.

The staff were great, we were seen to very quickly and even given little balloons for the girls. I ate far too much as it was all LOVELY, but those on a diet would also be catered for with the lighter options, if you are more able to restrain yourself than me.

I am a sucker for the whole American Diner thing, and can recommend the menu for a family - now just to get back in and check out the cocktails on a girly night out and the brekky for a weekend lazy brunch.

Have you been recently to a Frankie and Benny's? Are you a diner fan?

(with thanks to Frankie and Bennys - this post relates to a meal that was gifted by the brand). 

 

4 comments:

  1. I do like Frankie and Benny's but it is SO not an American diner. I remember when my MIL took my Mom to F&B after I had Blondie Boy and was shocked to find out it isn't actually an American chain nor does it even exist in America :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Melaina, hahah yes true, it is an American inspired diner....still this makes me happy enough, diner-esque is good enough for me :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE Frankie & Bennies. Their carbonara is amazing and they used to do a fab cinnamon waffle with banana ice-cream but I think they've stopped it now. Their garlic pizza breads are also delightful. It's my favourite, favourite kind of food!

    So glad the minis enjoyed it too :) perhaps I will steal them away and fill them full of dough balls next time I'm over your way!

    ReplyDelete