Sunday 23 October 2011

The broken butterfly

broken butterfly

 
Hello Dexterous Diva readers. You find me worn down, worn out and fragile at the moment.

As you know, I had 'flu for 10 days after a cold, then endo pain had a good stint leaving me isolated at home for a good fortnight or so. I am not good without social company and this made me feel really low.Depression came back to visit and hasn't really shifted.

started my Zoladex treatment last Thursday, which I am really hopeful may help me, although for now I can feel it hitting me quite hard as my body adjusts to the HRT and strong medication.

Endo makes me tired, depression makes me tired, and the painkillers and antidepressants I am on all add to fatigue.I haven't been sleeping well. My brain feels like it is struggling to function, I am in a foggy mush of thoughts and inarticulated speech. My memory and recall are slushy and I don't feel like a sharp, educated being at all, more a fluffy forgetful mess. I am aware my system is not in good shape, although I am eating really well and back out for my runs which I know help my mental state, my body is tiiiiiired.

Having endo means my immune system is compromised, and when I hit the ice like this it can be really, really hard to get back up. All germs flying about seem to stick, and it feels like a constant line of illness. I hate feeling weak and like a shadow of myself.

My insides currently feel like they are on fire. I as already aware that Zoladex can amplify endo symptoms when you begin treatment so I had it on the mental backburner, but it still manages to make me feel pretty useless when I need to get mroe help with nursery pick ups and so on for the Mini Divas.

My own family can't help, so my in-laws step up and they are fabulous, but I do constantly fear that they must think I am lazy, useless, not pulling my weight as a mum. I would so dearly love to be firing on all cylinders, to not keep having to say that I am tired, to not feel as if every day is a mountain to climb. I don't want to ask for help, and it makes me feel terrible that my daily routine has to affect so many people around me.

Now I have started Zoladex, now that I am run down, tired, low and exhausted I have decided to be kind to myself.I am slowing down where I can, and I am going to make a really concerted effort to not give a damn what anyone thinks.

I apologise to my partner a million times a day, and I don't need to. He understands me, knows what I am going through, and doesn't need me to say sorry all the time. My kids don't need to hear the word sorry all the time, it's not healthy. Maybe if I can stop feeling like I am letting everyone down it would help my scarred self esteem.

My plan is to treat Autumn as if I am in a chrysalis. Let the Zoladex start to do it's thing, and roll with the punches. I am self employed and taking time to slow down can be really really difficult, but if I don't recharge myself there will be no business anyway. If I don't look after myself how can I look after my family? I find it really hard to make things around me slow down, but a good chat today with some dear friends (you know who you are) has helped me to realise that  a bit of balance is allowed.

Being unwell is so hard to deal with on so many levels. If you didn't see the video I made earlier in the week, this explains quite well how it feels.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150409416230399


Do you find it hard to slow down? Do you ever feel useless when you are unwell?

Yours in a bundle of tiredness.

DD
X

 

 

2 comments:

  1. If there's anything I can do to help with cherry sorbet let me know lovely. Sending lots of love strong enough to penetrate your haze. Thinking of you lots.

    Stay strong big sis xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry you are going through such a difficult time right now, I hope you'll feel much better soon!

    Yes, the days when I feel really unwell or have a lot of pain, I can feel very useless and really guilty for not "doing my part" - even though I know, that I am doing my best.

    ReplyDelete