Monday 14 November 2011



As most regular readers know I am a blogger and a mum, but I wouldn't describe myself as a mummy blogger.
I talk about all sorts here on Dexterous Diva; my health, endometriosis, running, creativity, fashion, beauty, tech, random stuff; it's all part of my life, and it's how I like to write. I do love to share about life with the Mini Divas, my beloved two year old twins, although nappies and small people stuff is not my mainstay.

I have written before about the Twin Thing, where there is a tendency to only talk about your offspring as twins, as if they are not people in their own right too.  I also see that having multiples is a blessing, and very, very special indeed. I find that being a twin mum anyone who is expecting twins and has that shock factor to deal with seeks me out for advice, as I did with preggers with my two. You just want to know that having two babies AT ONCE is doable, that you can cope. Well, by hook or by crook you will, no matter what happens. So, as I have been tagged in this meme of blog posts by the lovely Kerry of Multiple Mummy I am very happy indeed to share my personal top 5 things about having twins for anyone who has just heard those life-changing words "oh! I can see two babies in there..."

It is magical. Really.

1) You have an instant family.
Unless you really want to, you never need to be pregnant again. You never need to have morning sickness, SPD, a belly so big you can't see your feet, an unhealthy appetite for Oatabix whilst nursing elephantine ankles and trying to breathe with crushed lungs. (sorry, am I making pregnancy sound fun?)

2) They lie together in baby baskets when they are born
...and in all honesty it is the loveliest thing in the world. Two babies, all yours, who cuddle each other and just kind of hang out together in cots and stuff. Beautiful.

3) They wake up in the morning and sing and chat with each other in a language they understand.
This is not only über cute but is handy as you have time to get a coffee and your head together before breakfast mayhem. It's also amusing to listen in and see what they are talking about. It's usually phrases they have heard from me being used in mock telling offs. My authority is clearly needing some more assertion if I am a comedic device.

4) They always have each other. 
When starting nursery, playgroups or just out and about in social situations they have their best mate with there. Yes, they may fight over Iggle Piggle and have a major meltdowns over toy sharing, but in the main they adore each other and will look out for each other. In the main...

5) It's a lot of fun
It really is. We still get exhausted, it is hard work having children whether twins or singletons at whatever age, but having twins who are so different, as mine are, so much fun and who love life is just magical.

So to anyone out there cooking up a pair, go for it and know you can do it. The first few months are a blur of no sleep and coffee, and take all the help you an when offered,  but twinland is an amazing place to be.

For my Mini Divas

x

 

I am tagging Charlotte Semler and Two Become Four.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment