Wednesday 4 January 2012

The pre- and post Christmas Mayhem – the hope to return to normality! Guest post by Multiple Mummy


As I said yesterday, it can be a relief to get back to normality following the festive fun.
I have twins, which makes things manic enough, but fellow blogger and mum of 3 (including twins and a 3 year old) Kerry gets my award for staying sane over Xmas.
Here on Mini Divas we are all about telling it how it is, so I am thrilled to introduce you to Multiple Mummy, who admits to a meltdown. I love women who openly admit to having a crisis from time to time. Make sure you check out Multiple Mummy's blog and you can follow her on Twitter @multiplemummy.


Over to you  Kerry...



I am writing this post in the play room as I have not moved the computer back to it’s original spot following the pre-Christmas furniture move in order to have enough space to host for 16 people in total. You would think that having 2-year-old twins and a 3-year-old little boy that I would have enough to cope with, but no, in my wisdom I opt to invite the whole family for Christmas.



My mini melt down occurred on the 22nd December (my hubby’s birthday, poor sod) as I fell apart thinking about all the things we still needed to do. Due to the fact that we had been so busy attempting to get organized, we had not really paid much attention to ‘entertaining’ the children and by this point they were climbing the walls. A toddler without fresh air in any one day is a nightmare. Three toddlers without fresh air, is like being in a vacuum canister, where the squealing sound on the outside of the canister get out high pitched as the pressure rises that you honestly believe that your head will pop.


In a strange twist of luck, we made it to Christmas day, with presents wrapped, decorations up, a tidy house, all the furniture move and dinner prepared. Noah really understood what Christmas was all about this year and his face was just magical. It was completely worth the mini meltdown. The twins had very little understanding, but were high on the hype of the day, as Little Madam and Chilled out Boy decided to twirl and twirl in the middle of the room until their dizziness sent them off course into the sofa.


It really was special but for the rest of the week we were out and about visiting other family and friends and spent little time at home, so it was left in the devastation created by Christmas day. I knew I had to face it soon and that feeling of dread was creeping upon me, for tidying up with twins and a toddler is like trying to play football with a ball and chain around your ankle. For every moment of progress, the little gremlins manage to cleverly undo all you have achieved, or you need to stop because one needs a wee, or you have to referee a squabble, or one wants picking up. It’s can be endless and tiresome.


When it came to sorting the toys so we could put out some of their gifts, suddenly toys from the depths of beyond that had not been played with in months suddenly became the best thing since sliced bread. We then had to go through a whole grieving process to part them from the item. I was so tempted to dig a big hole and bury them as part of the ceremony!



We are nearly at the point of organisation though which has been one of my New Year resolutions. After an Ikea mission was completed this week, we now have more storage and I put them together all by myself…just called me Bob the Builder! I am, however ignoring the giant ironing pile that I really should be doing now instead of writing this.


Hubby has returned to work after two weeks off (as he is a school teacher) and although it has been fabulous having him around, I do get lazier and go at a much slower pace. I am quite glad to have my routine back. This morning we were all up, dressed and breakfasted by 8.30am, whereas all Christmas we have still been in our PJ’s at this time. The children are currently all having a nap and the wind is howling and the hailstones have fallen at a rapid rate. There is something so snuggly about being indoors when there is hurricane weather outside but it riles the kids up something chronic! I have drunk a hot chocolate and am admiring my ‘storage’ that is all neat and tidy. This will only last for as long as they stay asleep.

It is wrong that I am quite pleased pre-school starts up again tomorrow?


Multiple Mummy
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment