Monday 8 October 2012

The sanity checklist


sanity checklist


Hey Diva Readers,

As you have probably noticed I have been blogging much less recently. I have been on Twitter much less. In fact, everything has been much less.

For the last 6 weeks my lovely Grandad has been in hospital He is 91, and has pancreatic cancer. It has been an unbelievably trying time, and it has been taking it's toll. Visiting someone you love in hospital doesnt sound too trying, but it's a cumulative effect of the whole situation that is so very demanding on the emotions as well as physical health.

Watching someone you love die slowly and painfully is awful. Add to that the extra calls chasing doctors, social services, calling relatives and friends to keep them in the loop, visiting care homes, chasing elusive NHS staff, and actually being in hospital looking after Grandad for the hours needed and there is little time for much else.

I haven't worked for the last 5 weeks. I have had every cold, flu and stomach bug going. I have days when I am snappy and cannot stop crying and feel unbelievably stressed. My endo has flared up, IBS returned and I am snappy, irritable and teary. Of course I would never ever wish to not be doing what we have all been doing, family is always priority.

I have been on a learning curve these last few weeks. Of course, stress occurs in life in a variety of forms at different times. I know this will pass and we will get through it, and I have been doing all I can to look after myself during this time to be able to keep going.

This is my sanity checklist for stressful times:

• Cut out the crap you don't need to do. If it's not important, ignore it.

• Eat well. The body is stressed enough  so give it every nutrient and help you can.

• Dont drink too much, it will lower your already struggling immune system and damage that all too precious sleep ( however tempting the gin may be).

Be selfish - when you need to rest, rest. I am getting better at this. I think..

Exercise! When time is short it can be so hard to fit this in but I swear my bike rides and runs have been keeping me sane.

Offload to friends, be it via text, a phone call, over coffee, email, Facebook, whatever. My support network have been amazing

Take some mini breaks of fun when possible. Even an hour here and there can help to switch off. A chance of scenery, a walk somewhere else in the fresh air.

See the bigger picture. This will pass and life will return to normal. Life must and will go on.

Loved ones come first - when it all comes down to it, nothing else matters.

Thanks to everyone who has been supporting me and my family recently. 

2 comments:

  1. Over on the blog - the sanity checklist http://t.co/xT7vFcj9

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, love. You poor thing. Sounds like a horrendously stressful time. Great advice to nurture yourself though, I guess if we don't look after ourselves we're not in a position to look after those around us or get on with all the stuff we need to do. I'm going to take your advice about ditching the unimportant stuff, getting more sleep and eating properly. Whenever I'm stressed all that stuff goes out the window (most weeks really) and I end up feeling worse. Hope things look up soon lovely. xxx

    ReplyDelete