Monday 19 September 2011

Doing it differently before it's done

doing things differently

So. In less than a week I am going to be doing my half marathon, my much blogged, trained for and longed for day is almost here.

I have been struggling this last week with endo which has been causing me no end of pain and tiredness. I am so hoping it won't be in full effect on Sunday.

Anyway....aside from that my learning curve with training has been huge, and already there are things I would do differently. And things I WILL do differently, for the next half marathon - oh yes, I am booked onto the Reading Half in April with my Team Bangs buddy Sarah Scribbles - the journey of improvement has begun.

This summer has seen set backs in my training with moving house, endo,  a wedding, holidays and social activites. Nonetheless I have improved from running 15 minutes to 2 hours in 4 months.

Here is what I will bring into the mix for the next half:

More cross training
I would definitely benefit from cross training in the mix with my running, and want to add in yoga or pilates for body strength and conditioning, and cycling to my routine. I also love resistance training so would like to combine that too in a schedule.

Nutrition and overeating
I have been learning what to eat for my training and know I can improve so much on my habits.Eating cleanly is the key to more energy and looking more svelte, plus I know I need to combat my emotional food addiction.

Better routine
Things have been so up in the air juggling work, family, and a busy life this Summer that it has been hard to fit in my runs on days I have had no pain. So, I want to get a good routine going, a long run on a Sunday for example, shorter runs in the week and my cross training mixed in at times I can easily fit in with nursery drops and pickups work and family life. No mean feat but I can do it with some planning I am sure.

Things I won't do differently:
Surrounding myself with people who support me, both offline and in the real world. Team Bangs, Twitter and Facebook friends have been amazing online, and my family and friends supportive offline. Running can be hard to fit in when I need help with the kids to do it on a weekend, or help to be able to get to a race. I am blessed with people around me who love me enough to enable me to be me.

Enjoyment
I have enjoyed this training so much, and the learning curve has been huge. I know my journey with fitness and health is just beginning, and I am honoured to have had the chance to be part of Team Bangs.

Being pleased with what I achieve
There is no doubt that to be able to have trained for this event alone has been amazing for me. For much of the time I am in crippling pain so to get so far is something to be truly proud of.

Thanks to you all for following my journey so far. I will report back on Run to the Beat after Sunday, and don't forget you can sponsor Team Bangs here - we want to hit target and every little bit really helps.



 

Thank you. x

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. [...] correctly and holding these ancient poses can rejuvanate the body so much, I ached for days too! I wrote last year before doing my very first half marathon the things I would do differently, and I am really pleased [...]

    ReplyDelete