Sunday 4 September 2011

The wheat cheat: intolerance and loving yourself

The wheat cheat

I have an intolerance to wheat.

I know this.

It makes my endometriosis pain much worse.  I feel hideous when I eat too much of it and I detoxed from it back in February.

This  last week, my pain and fatigue was overwhelming. This is usual for me at this time of my endo cycle; what wasn't so normal was the constant headache, joint soreness and nausea. The difference, I realised, is that I have eaten a lot of wheat this week - uncharacteristically, since I came off it in Spring.

"Came off it" may sound extreme, but believe me it was a big detox with flu symptoms and migraines. for a week. My body told me how much it struggled with wheat.

So why, WHY have too much this week?

Simple - I wasn't planning. I had a lot of social events going on, and rather than make special arrangements for myself I didn't want to cause any hassle and so jumped on in with everyone else. Don't get me wrong, I had an amazing weekend, but the problem is, with me at least, once the discipline has slipped it's so EASY to just let the odd sandwich and piece of toast slide in here and there, as it has done in the days since.

The lesson here is not so much about wheat (although I know you are fascinated by my eating habits!), but about willpower and staying true to yourself

I know this thing hurts me, so I shouldn't have it.

I am a fool to myself if I do. And, I am grateful for my poor body reminding me of that.

What do you do to yourself that you shouldnt? Do you have a downfall?

Be kind to yourself, people.

DD
X

4 comments:

  1. Funnily enough we were just talking about this in the pub on Friday! I was discussing that I have a mild intolerance to red meat. Every time I eat it I have an upset stomach. My body seems unable to digest it properly. I googled the symptoms and it seems that this is not uncommon. However I love the taste of red meat and am a firm believer that it's nutritional qualities (good source of protein, iron and vitamins) make it a vital part of the human diet. But boy do I know about it if I eat it!

    Sally x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have endo, but eating wheat makes me bloated and gives me cramps. I try to stay away from it as much as possible. Sometimes a loaf of bread smells so darn nice though :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wheat! My Dad and his sister are coeliacs so I've had the tests and, although they were negative, I know when I've had too much. Wheat is easy and tastes nice but it doesn't always agree with me. I think over doing can kick off my asthma. I once cut it out completely for 30 days – including biscuits, cakes and pasta, which is a big ask for me. I felt great, although I'd also cut out meat, caffeine and dairy for the duration. A few years on and I eat less wheat, less dairy (I recommend rice milk) and I only eat red meat – when there's a good steak on the menu. Alcohol is another weakness but as I get older I've started to focus more on a good meal than a 'good drink'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The key, I'm told, is to alkalise your diet. We take on too many acids in our diets which can make you feel tired – while your body is busy trying to break them down – and a bad night's sleep is often down to your body spending half the night digesting these acids instead of resting. There's an easy way to alkalise acid forming foods and drinks, like meat and dairy, and that's to consume more alkaline rich foods. Try starting the day with a small glass of wheatgrass juice. It's a winner! I like Rabenhorst from Holland & Barret, which includes apple juice and spirulina. For more info on alkalising your diet, check out the Energise for Life website, which has lots of tips.

    ReplyDelete