Friday 22 July 2011

Why every run is a victory

Why every run is a victory

So. If you haven't checked out the awesome ladies that are Team Bangs on the Run 2, I suggest you do.

Follow our hashtag on Twitter, follow us all and see what we are all up to.

As a team of 13 ladies, we are all coming at this challenge with our own stories. We have been sharing with each other the reasons why we run, and I assure you, every time I read about why a team-mate is running it makes me cry.


These ladies are overcoming MASSIVE things in life. Huge. The fact that some of us are even out there at all is a miracle given the set of chronic health conditions, both mental and physical we are scaling, and the incredible sets of circumstances that many of us have found ourselves in.

Readers of my blog will know that my running journey is about beating endometriosis, and the pain, chronic fatigue and associated emotions that come with the condition. I am also a mum of twins who has a history of depression, hideous post natal depression and an issue with my weight ( there is too much of it!).

I am on strong medication a lot of the time;  I run a business, I have twin toddlers and I am overcoming all my past issues by getting out there, on the road, knowing that my ladies are all with me.

I won't share the stories of the others, that is up to them -  but suffice to say that in the circle of trust we have my respect for the obstacles we are all overcoming and the ladies winning their battles inspires me each and every time we talk.

We havent all met physically, but this experience is also a reminder of how much support there is from people you know and meet online.Physical distance and geography is nothing when it comes to being supported, encouraged and motivated.

Not only are we all, literally, running for our lives but of course the fundraising effort we are doing is fundamental to women who need a great deal of support. Take a butchers at our Just Giving Page here and drop a little pub money in, - it really will make a huge difference.

So, this weekend I will be out there doing my training in the fen lands, putting air in my lungs, muscles on my legs and enjoying the challenge of taking myself a little bit further each time. I am terrified of the half marathon but it is keeping me focussed, driven, and out there doing my miles.

Do you run? What makes you get out there? Does exercise help you overcome anything in life?

I would love to know.

Much love,

DD

x

1 comment:

  1. Hello from one Diva to another ;-)
    I read many of your posts and am constantly amazed at what you achieve despite the battles you have physically and mentally. You have learnt to push yourself when you are able to but also listen to your body when it says no freaking way! Kudos to you, that's gotta be tough x

    As you know i'm a relative newbie to running, i don't really know why i started it as it's not something i have ever considered before. In fact if i drove past someone a few months ago who was running i would probably have thought, are you mad! I think it's been a combination of things. It's only recently that i have understood that i have been battling with depression for the past few years. I knew there was something wrong but just didn't know what or how to ask for help. Teamed with being a working mum of 2 children, eldest with some very difficult behavioural issues and littlest who frequently has night terrors or episodes, terrible financial situation resulting in selling our house and my family living abroad, it's all just ended up with me being very broken, exhausted and isolated.

    I'm not unfamiliar with exercise. When i noticed how much weight i put on after having 2nd i managed to lose just under 3st using Weight Watchers points scheme just at home and an exercise DVD. However with the past year being especially hard it has started to pile back on and it makes me incredibly unhappy. I just don't seem to have a very good relationship with food at all any more.

    Anyway, a lot of people had also said that they found running really good for their depression. So after tentatively starting running a little over 3 months ago and seeing that your body adapts quicker than you expect i got quite into it. Sometimes it really helps but other times it makes no difference to how i feel but without the help of a friend who went back to basics and interval training with me i wouldn't have got this far. It really is the only time i get to myself too, i get to run outside and just be me for 45 mins without having to worry about the girls, actually who am i kidding! There have been many times i've got back to the house to find WW3 breaking out. So this is why i have to go out at 5.30am so i am home before they wake up, but that's no mean feat. However despite all this i have just accomplished my first 5k in the form of The Race 4 Life with some colleagues from work. It was amazing to be a part of it. I did find it tough though, lots of people and difficult terrain. But i did it and am now contemplating signing up for a 10k locally in October. I do not want to lose the bug but i need a goal to work towards or i will just let it go.

    This week has been especially tough though and the only running i have done was the Race on Tuesday. I will hopefully get out again at the weekend.

    I've gone on a bit i know, oh well ....

    You really are an inspiration as are other people who run, for all different reasons. Encouragement and support to others is key.

    Keep putting one foot in front of the other, and look forward to reading more about your journey.

    Kerry x

    ReplyDelete