Sunday 17 July 2011

St Ives 10k

St Ives 10k

So, today I managed to run a 10k.

Last week, as you know, I was sad to miss the Boutique Run at the hands of endo, so this week I was determined to get out there and do the race.



Although I run 10k and more on a weekly basis, I am keen to get some races under my belt for before the Nike Run to the Beat to get used to the details of participating in a run, and to learn to combat nerves. I felt incredibly anxious today; sick, light-headed and nervous etc, all the more reason to make myself do more of these and get used to the nuances of well-times loo habits, water consumption and running in a pack.

My time wasn't terrible but wasn't great, I ran the 10k in 1 hour and 4 minutes.

My usual training pace is around 6.5 km per kilometer, so I ran a little slower than usual, but given that this week I have been in a lot of pain and my endo wasn't silent today by any means I am pleased.

Today has given me a reminder of exactly how long a half marathon is (ie a bloody long way), and where I am with my training.

I need to increase my speed running training to get my pace up, and think about getting another cross train exercise in on my rest days to help my CV work.

Things of note today were:

• getting overtaken by an old man

• running with a woman with one leg (and a special prosthetic limb for running) whose awesomeness made me blub.

My lovely Scribbles is away in the Cotswolds today and I thought of her as I ran around the course. My Team Bangs Girls are always with me in thought too!

I started the race with my lovely mate Karen, and was thrilled to see my little angel Emma Gibbers at 8k having done an incline when I started to feel it. Thanks ladies, great to share it with you!

[caption id="attachment_1359" align="alignnone" width="225" caption="The lovely Karen and I before the race"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1360" align="alignnone" width="225" caption="Karen, me and Emma afterwards"][/caption]

I did it. I am tired.

Night night.

xx

5 comments:

  1. Amazing to see you there today Jo, and great to get to run with you, yay to us! xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh hun you were my angel at 8k! I ALWAYS love seeing you chica, it always seems like it has only been 5 mins. Yay to us Gibbers! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, I found an article about you and what you do for the endometriosis community (or whatever you'd like to call it that makes it sound better than it is) and I want to let you know that you are very inspiring. Please keep updating your blog and educating people about what we're going through. It means a lot to me and I think many other women would agree with me as well. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ellie thanks so much for the comment, it's comments like yours that keep me going. Hope you are well today endo sister xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done you!! 1hr 4 is an amazing time :)
    Very proud & inspired, hope you're well m'lovely xx

    ReplyDelete